Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Frittered Away

Even though I've had a great deal of time at my disposal over the last eight months, inconsequential activities seem to fill my waking hours. As I result, I've yet to write the great North American novel, improve my guitar skills, or better myself to any significant extent. One by one, my lofty goals have fallen by the wayside--victims of the merciless law of diminishing returns.

The American Transcendentalist poet and philosopher Henry David Thoreau once famously remarked that "our lives are frittered away by detail"...How true. In the context of modern Canadian culture, Thoreau's peculiar word choice conjures up images of mass-produced pastries--a near-perfect metaphor for squandered time and energy.

If you were able to have an eight-month sabbatical, how would you spend your time?
|
Comments:
I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing
 
Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter