Sunday, July 31, 2005

The End of Diplomatic Immunity

One month from now, my old college friend Eric Hougen will be a married man. This joyous occasion marks the end of an era. All my rowdy friends have indeed settled down, and we're all officially adults.

The other night, I spoke to him on the telephone, and he mentioned that he's a little sheepish about sending invitations due to the fact that he hasn't bought many wedding gifts or baby gifts for his friends over the years.

I told him not to worry about it. Single men are officially foreigners in this strange kingdom called "Polite Society", and are offically granted diplomatic immunity. Nobody really expected him to give them gifts. Now that he's getting married, he'll become a full citizen, however, and he'll be expected to chip in.

His predicament reminded me that I too have forsaken my diplomatic post, and must send wedding and shower gifts right away.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter