Monday, August 29, 2005

Canadian Purgatory

Immigration Update:

As many of you know, I've been awaiting permanent resident status in Canada for over a year and a half now, and, if not for the love of a good woman, I'd be on the brink of despair.

Why is it taking so long, you may ask?

Because I've lived in five countries over the last ten years, I was required to submit a police check to immigration for each country of residence. Not surprisingly, the Nigerian authorities didn't come through for me, and with immigration insisting on the necessity of this one particular police certificate, things looked pretty grim.

Thanks to earnest pleadings on my behalf, that issue has been resolved. However, while we've waited, my immigration physical expired, and I had to have another last month. Once the physical is processed, I'll obtain a permanent resident card. With that permanent resident card I can then apply for a SIN number. After that, I can apply for Ontario College of Teachers certification. With any luck, I'll be a contributing member of society by Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, Canada...I'm not complaining. In fact, I'm glad immigration is meticulous when it comes to background checks.

Citizens of Canada: Sleep well tonight knowing that four federal governments, three states, two volunteer organizations, and one province have all found my police record to be absolutely spotless. You can't be sure about the whole "righty tighty thing", but you can be sure Steve Lindstrom has never had so much as a parking violation anywhere on this planet. I'm also kind to puppies and the elderly.

Because of my experience over the last year, my advice to intrepid world travellers is to always obtain a police clearance certificate from any country you've lived in after you leave. Immigration isn't the only institutional entity that may require it.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter