Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Somewhat Special Olympics

Sorry...That's the way I view the Winter Olympics.


It's always seemed like a knockoff of the original--the athletic equivalent of CSI Miami.

Nevertheless, I'm following the Turin Olympiad closer than I'd like to admit. For all of its flaws, it's still fairly captivating, mostly due to the potential for high-velocity tragedy. There isn't anything comparable in the summer olympics to someone careening off an ice-covered cement tube at 80 miles an hour.

In order to keep my hours in front of the t.v. at a minimum, I've developed some criteria to restrict my viewing hours:

1. If there isn't a venue for anyone to participate in any given olympic sport within a 500 mile radius, I don't watch the event.

2. If the sport requires judges, it isn't really a sport, and therefore, I won't watch it.

3. Priority must be given to women's speed skating: It's sort of like a convention of multiethnic J-Lo body doubles in tight-fitting spandex.

As for the results, the majority of Canada's medal winners have been women, and those avatars of Canadian machisimo, the men's hockey team led by "the great one", couldn't even pull off a bronze. The big-money, big-hype stars didn't come through, which makes this a very special olympics indeed.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter