Saturday, September 02, 2006

Aesop's Fox: Paradigm of Enlightenment

Aesop's Fox in the "sour grapes" fable, at first glance, seems to illustrate the truism that those who can't obtain what they want in life make excuses to justify their own failure.

What if the fox actually was a practicing Buddhist, and subscribed to the sixth teaching of the Buddha's eightfold path. What if the fox believed that suffering is alleviated by the elimination of desire? I mean, did the fox really need the grapes, or was he motivated by greed, selfishness and pride? Perhaps these were his thoughts prior to giving up his quest for the grapes.

Why would a fox want grapes anyway? I've never seen a bag of Purina Fox Chow, but I'm pretty sure grapes aren't on the list of ingredients. Maybe he just thinks to himself: look at these sharp frickin' teeth I've got...I should quit wasting my time here and start chasing rabbits.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter