Monday, March 26, 2007

Organized People Should Get Lost!

...But of course they never would. They'd probably bring along extra maps, a compass, GPS and cell phone just to be safe.

Do I envy them their slavish devotion to the minutiae of life? Not one bit. When Thoreau said that "our lives are frittered away by detail", he was thinking about things like filing paperwork, organizing sock drawers, and writing lists.

All the same, I realize that it might be good for me to be somewhat more organized. I spent the first hour of my day searching for a misplaced set of keys.

Teaching guys like me to be organized is like teaching a bear to ride a bicycle. It can be done, but only by a trained professional that can dodge an island-sized paw now and then. Organized folks, it's not that we mean to frustrate you; we're actually a different species. I recommend viewing our attempts at aping your behaviour with detached bemusement. Think of us as chimpanzees wearing cowboy suits or seals clapping with their flippers.

My epiphany is that the world needs people who work on shoring up their weaknesses. It's a lot easier for a disorganized person to understand an organization system put together by another disorganized person. It's like the Microsoft/Apple divide: Microsoft designed software that made sense for people who understood programming, while Apple designed software for your average person. I'm sure that, in the process, Apple software engineers often tore their hip, urban attire in frustration trying to dumb things down for the simpletons in their focus groups.

If this last paragraph had been written by an organized person, this would be a clever concluding paragraph that would deftly touch upon my main points and reinforce my thesis.

Labels: , , ,

|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter