Monday, January 24, 2005

One Ring To Rule Them All

My grandmother, rest her soul, conveyed her love for her children and grandchildren through masking tape. In her final years, she began to label everything of value for the sake of distribution to her children and grandchildren. Most of the objects I received were familiar; a picture frame my grandfather made, a pocket knife, a sculp
ture of a seal she brought from Sweden...All of them bore a strip of tape with "Steven" written upon it in a shaky hand. Kinder hands have never held a pen.

One gift a received from my grandmother is an enduring mystery: My enigma ring.
Since the ring came into my posession, I've worn it constantly, and complete strangers have even offered to buy it from me. If the winged Nazgul from Lord of The Rings bang on my door someday, I won't be surprised.

Nobody in my family seems to know the origins of this ring, and the calligraphic style makes it difficult to discern what letter it is. Consider the following pictures:



Looking at this image what letter would you say this is? Some suggest it's an "E", others, and "L", and both would fit with my family history.



From this perspective, however, it could be a "J", or even an "I". To further complicate the mystery, it seems to have been resized. The only thing I know for certain is that grandma wanted the ring to be passed down to me.

If you can help me solve the riddle of the ring, or if you can help me come up with a clever cover story, please comment below.






|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter