Tuesday, March 15, 2005

We Didn't Know Any Better Back Then

...This will be the refrain of my old age. What seems like a good idea now may be utter folly in retrospect. I don't want to end up a cautionary tale like Navin Johnson, Steve Martin's tragic protagonist in The Jerk who invented the famed Opti-Grab glasses, which eventually turned wearers cross-eyed.

In today's Toronto Star I read:

Folk wisdom has long suggested that daily doses of vitamin E may protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer. But a massive Canadian-led study has found that the supplement not only fails to prevent the world’s top two killers — it may also do harm.

Just a week earlier, my wife had finally convinced me to start taking vitamins. That left me wondering, with more than a modicum of paranoia, what other conventional wisdom will be refuted in the years to come.

I'd like to hear your predictions. Please comment...Here's one of my own...

Japanese sunglass maker KT Optica has produced a new pair of sunglasses that attach to the whorl of your ears, thereby preventing slippage down the bridge of the nose (apparently these guys have never heard of Navin Johnson).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bad idea. You're one accident away from having the cauliflower ears of Phil Greening. I wear my own malformed ear as a badge of pride, but I don't think it would play well on the streets of fashion-conscious Tokyo, would it, Rick?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Read It:
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter