Monday, February 14, 2005

Hybrid Vigor and Turkey Carcasses

At least twice a week, I do a search on Petfinder for a dog; I'm not talking a yippy little air-dried Paris Hilton farting fashion accessory, I'm talkin' a DAWG-- preferrably a Great Dane or an Irish Wolfhound.

Laurie and I are of the same mind when it comes to large canines. In our experience, the term "Gentle Giants" isn't a misnomer. While Aussies and Border Collies may run you ragged, a Bullmastiff or Great Dane is essentially a drooling chaise lounge. We're looking for one mellow fellow--the perfect companion for children. Faith, our favourite Bull Mastiff, is a registered therapy dog. In order for her to obtain her license, a Vet prodded her, poked her, and yanked her tail, and because she showed no sign of agression, she was deemed Therapy Dog material (Laurie's father did pretty much the same thing to me before accepting me as his son-in-law). Faith and her human companion visit senior citizens in nursing homes on Saturdays, speading unconditional love in a way few humans can.

Lots of people become very partial to one particular breed; my mother has always been partial to Cocker Spaniels. When I was a child her Cocker Spaniel, Ilsa found out how to open the refrigerator door. Our family returned home after Sunday dinner to find the refrigerator door ajar and Ilsa stumbling around with her head stuck in a turkey carcass. She had eaten through much of her meat helmet, and was left with what appeared to be one of those neck-stretching collars worn by tribal women in southeast asia. In her attempt to free herself, she had mopped the floor and walls with turkey grease.

I loved Ilsa, but my best friend's father bred majestic Irish Wolfhounds, and my childhood was spent playing in the shade of their enormous haunches. They seemed less like dogs and more like mythical creatures from the Lord of the Rings. That doesn't mean I'd buy a purebred, however. Because I'm a mixed breed mutt myself, I think I'm predisposed to canine miscagenation. I like Bitsas: bits of this, bits of that. Mixed breeds are often more healthy and intelligent than purebreds; a phenomenon known as "hybrid vigor". Even in the dog world, diversity is a good thing.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter