Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I May Be Getting Bigger, But At Least Bigger Is Getting Smaller

This past weekend, I crossed through a set of doors I vowed I'd never enter.

The Big & Tall store.

I'm not particularly big or tall, but I've found that regular-size socks aren't a very comfortable fit for my size thirteen flippers. They constrict around the ankles, cutting off circulation. In addition, although I fit pretty comfortably in XL shirts, I can never get ties long enough to fit my freakishly long torso. There's always an inch or so of buttons showing above the beltline.

When I passed through the doors of the B&T, years of fear and prejudice conditioned me to expect oversize velour tracksuits and man-moomoos.

What I actually found was that this particular men's store carried all the top brands as well as reasonably-priced alteratives. Their selection and quality was better than any department store I've seen, and the staff was courteous and knowledgeable.

I was surprised to learn that the shirt sizes available started at 16.5, and pants at 36. Shoes started at size 12.

Since my thirtieth birthday, I've packed on about five pounds a year. The trend must stop, and this is the year I'm going to do it, but until the pounds start melting off due to the latest fad diet, it's some consolation that bigger is getting smaller, and that I'm petite as far as the Big & Tall store is concerned.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter