Thursday, September 07, 2006

Spoiler Alert

Statistics back up my anectdotal observation that the Canadian autobuying public prefers smaller, more economic vehicles than their American counterparts. While the midsize Camry is the best selling car in the U.S., the Civic reigns supreme north of the border.

Part of the popularity of the Civic in Canada is most likely due to the custom car market. While Americans go for sheer tonnage, Canadians tend to prefer souping up and customizing. At the very least, every male Civic owner in Canada between the ages of 18-30 believes no vehicle is complete without an exterior accessory. Foremost among them: the spoiler. It's the male equivalent of the classic Coach handbag.

Spoilers were originally designed to reduce the amount of lift generated by the forward motion of a sportscar; they disrupt the airflow passing around the body of the vehicle, and this leads to improved traction (that's the best I can do--I'm no engineer). Unless you're Ricky Bobby, you'll probably never drive fast enough to notice any heightened performance from your spoiler, but they do make the Golden Retriever of cars look more like a Ridgeback, don't they?

I have nothing against spoilers in and of themselves, but I do have a problem with improper spoiler placement. Last year, I was approached by a local clergyman who very nicely inquired if I had a church home.

As I looked over his shoulder, I noticed that his vehicle was parked out on the curb.

A late model Ford Windstar minivan with a spoiler.

I'm not a car snob, but I refuse to take spiritual advice from anyone who drives a van with a spoiler.
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter