Friday, April 22, 2005

My Dream Pope

Maybe I'm just bitter because I didn't receive my invitation to the conclave on time, but I find the elevation of Ratzinger to Pope a hard pill to swallow.

I'm not a big fan of religious authority, or hierarchal leadership in general, but if, hypothetically speaking, I had to choose a celebate octegenarian with a combover to guide my spiritual life, I'd choose one with a penchant for liberation theology. I think it was Archbishop Romero of El Salvador who once remarked, "When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they're poor, they call me a communist".

My dream pope would focus the efforts of the church on healing the sick, feeding the hungry, lifting up the poor, and comforting those who suffer...But hey, that's just me. If you'd prefer some guy who seems fixated on marginalizing women and telling you what you can and cannot do with your own weenie, that's your business, I guess.

If you were designing the cover for the latest edition of Pope Beat Magazine, what would your Dream Pope look like?
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter