Sunday, April 24, 2005

In Praise of the Opposable Thumb

What makes humanity so special? Philosophers, anthropologists, and Jeopardy contestants have pondered this question since the first year of the Discovery channel on basic cable, and every time they think they have it nailed down, someone teaches a baboon sign language or a dolphin saves a drowning child, forcing humanity to search anew for something to justify our innate sense of superiority.

I'm not convinced we are superior to our fellow living creatures, but if I had to choose one thing that sets humanity apart, I would have to go with the mighty opposable thumb. We have them, and we use them well.

Because of an incident in Nigeria's Yankari National Park, I've grown particularly fond of my prehensile digit, and if you ask me nicely, I'll be happy to tell you the story behind this sign tomorrow:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
|
Comments: Post a Comment
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter